Collins Pickups Handmade in Dallas, Texas by a True Expert.
T-159“Five 9” is a 1959 styled pickup with a 5% progressive over-wind. In ’59 as with these Fender used a larger Alnico 5 magnet a .195, and was magnetized North-South-North and had a bit more winds.
T-166“California Glass” is a hybrid pickup and is under/over-wound 5% with Alinico5 magnets in the E-A-D string and Alnico 2 in G-B-E strings. It is an odd mix but Alnico 2 has different properties than 5 and it makes for a taming of the shrill ice pick sounds some Strats are known to have. These are a bit complicated and I have to magnetize each pole individually to keep a balance between the 5’s and 2’s. Alnico 2 is weaker in magnet strength than 5. This best can be described as 2’s round off the top end and are a bit loose in the bottom, Alnico 5’s are spiked in the top end and focused in the bottom.
T-167“Old Time Guns II” this is another vintage stagger pickup but with all Alnico 2 magnets and an over/under winding. Gray Bottom and Red top .187 Alnico 2 magnets orientated South-North-South Vintage staggering E=.671, A=.671, D=.710, G=.710, B=.630, E=.650 it is under-wound 7% on the neck for mid scooping and overwound 7% on the bridge for punch. The mid is wound to ’69 neck spec.
T-169 “1969″ is as the model suggests is a 1969 based pickup with the neck a standard winding and progressively over-wound 5%. They have .187 Alnico 5 magnets magnetized South-North-South as ’69’s would. Fender changed the magnet orientation in 1960 and used Formvar wire up until CBS bought Fender in 1965 at which time they switched to machine winding and went to Gray bottoms and less winds with enamel wire.
T-175“Road Kings” are an unconventional pickup it has a Gray Bottom and Red top .187 Alnico 5 magnets orientated South-North-South Symmetrical staggering E=.671, A=.693, D=.710, G=.710, B=.693, E=.671 it basically follows the radius of a 9-12 radius neck. The neck pickup is wound to what the T-169 has in the bridge and is progressively wound up to the bridge 7.5%.
T-176“Wind Talker” is a non staggered rendition of the Fender pickups from the mid ’70’s Gray Bottom and Red top .187 Alnico 5 magnets orientated South-North-South Flat staggering E=.671, A=.671, D=.671, G=.671, B=.671, E=.671 and wound 8% progressively starting at 20 winds over the ’59.
T-178“Rio Vista Heat” is a hotter pickup at a 16% progressive over-wind. Starting at a hotter neck around the mid on the Wind Talker and wound up to the bridge at 16% this places it somewhere between the Texas Special and the Tex-Mex Fenders. Gray Bottom and Black top .187 Alnico 5 magnets orientated South-North-South Vintage staggering E=.671, A=.671, D=.710, G=.710, B=.630, E=.650 currently the hottest Strat pickup I wind.
Collins Steel Town Blues – model T-161 Modern Vintage Humbuckers
- For those that like the feel and sounds of early PAF but want a little hot sauce on it these are your ticket Steel Town Blues. Built to kick the tubes into overdrive for that gritty Texas Blues. But can be rolled back on the volume and clean up nicely. These are not a one trick pony and can produce a myriad of tones by rolling the volume and tone knobs up or down.
- This custom set over-wound hand-wound modern vintage Steel Town Blues feature vintage styling with modern tech. Made with the finest materials. The scale is 49.2mm like vintage PAF fits Les Paul style and two humbucker type guitars. Can be used on imports but check scaling will fit most mounting rings without any modifications.
- The neck pickup is wound to spec and is smooth as butter, full of woman tones while the bridge pickup is overwound 16% to bring out the punch in the mids and sings with vintage tone. Pinch harmonics ring with ease and effortless taps. Wound with a beautiful red modern single poly wire, taped and double potted to silence microphonics.
- Steel Town Blues have a 4 wire shielded cable and can be hooked up for traditional humbucking, or for coil tap or phasing. Full strength Alnico 5 magnets oriented South to screws and North to vintage bullseye slugs. High quality short leg Silver Nickel baseplates and Covers not plated brass.
- Made in the U.S.A. Hand wound in my shop in Texas
- Though ohms are subject to change in temperature these read:
- Neck 7.54 K (4.34 Henries)
- Bridge 8.36 K (5.13 Henries)
- measured around 70 degrees
- If you want to breathe life into an old guitar, make repairs or build a new project these pickups are the ticket for classic modern and vintage tones. Want to capture the sound of hot Texas Blues dial in your sound and nail it. Woods play a part in the sound also and these pair well with Mahogany and dark woods as well as less dense woods and can drop it in Ash or Alder bodies. Will work in almost any genre of music. Rock, Blues,Country or Jazz.
Ranchita – Model T-181:
- This custom set over-wound modern Ranchita feature a zebra cream/black color scheme with very hot modern overwinding. Made with the finest materials. The scale is 49.2mm in neck and “F” spaced 53mm in bridge for two humbucker type guitars with spring tremolo (like Floyd Rose, Ibanez etc.) Can be used on many imports but check scaling will fit most mounting rings without any modifications.
- The neck pickup is overwound 50% from a standard PAF and will sing sweetly while the bridge pickup is overwound 75% to bring out the face melting punch modern shredders demand. Pinch harmonics ring with ease and effortless taps. Wound with a beautiful red 43AWG modern single poly wire, taped and double potted to silence microphonics.
- Full strength Alnico 5 magnets oriented South to screws and North to vintage bullseye slugs.
- High quality short leg Silver Nickel baseplates not plated brass.
Made in the U.S.A. Hand wound in my shop in Texas
Though ohms are subject to change in temperature these read:
- Neck 15.14 K (6.99 Henries)
- Bridge 18.04 K (9.09 Henries)